When I started this painting I was aiming to reproduce a vision I had while meditating. I love to work like this, I have an idea in mind, but I leave it open to change. I stop, take breaks, and listen to my intuition along the way.
In this meditative journey the spirit of the unicorn gave me the gift of healing, both to heal and be healed. The unicorn is a powerful totem when it comes to healing work from wounds of the heart and childhood trauma.
I share this meditation guide in my latest class “Whispers of nature” Where we meet our animal spirit guides while I share my pastel techniques, tips and tricks with you.
Oil pastel can take some getting used to, especially if you don’t have quality ones. It’s not easy to get detail at first, so the larger you work when learning, the better. You will find that with each brand of pastel you can blend better or not blend at all, it really depends on the quality and the brand.
So if you can afford to get a few sample quality brand pastels to try you will see it will make your life so much easier! I use the Sennelier, and I can say that they are worth every penny and more! Pastels are just like painting. We lay down color, blend, layer, and repeat. It’s a slow process and takes time and patience. But oh, it’s so worth it in the end!
I hope you enjoy creating with me!
- Gray-toned pastel paper (I used the 12×16″ Fabriano Tiziano Flecked colors pad) but feel free to use what you have. You can even just paint your paper or journal with gray acrylic tone and then use the oil pastel over that.
- Totillions for blending and details
- Oil pastels (I used the Sennelier brand. They are a little pricey, but if you find you like working with pastel they really are worth it.) Here are the colors I used but please use colors you are drawn to or in your usual palette if that feels more comfortable to you. You can also substitute the colors with similar tones that you have on hand.
- Pale blue
- Azure blue (this is a bright blue)
- Delft blue (this is a very cool light blue, almost with a lavender tint)
- Violet blue
- Cold gray (this is the off-white I talk about the videos)
- Yellow deep (medium yellow)
- Lemon yellow
- Mandarin (bright orange)
“The gift of healing” Part one
“The gift of healing” Part two
Reference photos I used
I would love to see what you create! Please share and join my wonderful creative Facebook community here 🙂
Want to try more of my free tutorials or one of my online workshops?
Don’t forget to Sign up to my newsletter to be the first to know about these freebies and other news! 🙂